Re: Need for W3C 'living' vocabulary & possibility of forking schema.org?

Hi Melvin,

On 04/28/2015 09:12 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 28 April 2015 at 18:11, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Next week Social WG will gather in Paris for 3rd face to face
>> meeting[1]. I proposed for the agenda topic of maintaining a 'living'
>> vocabulary, already placing myself an image of xkcd:Standards (927)[2]
>> next to it.
>>
>> I already made multiple attempts to clarify situation of depending on
>> schema.org in W3C specs. To my understanding, as for today situation
>> looks as follows:
>>  - W3C does NOT approve dependency on schema.org
>>  + W3C does approve dependency on microformats.org
>>

> Could you explain in more detail why a dependency of schema.org is needed
> or desirable?

Please take a look at JSON-LD context which will accompany Core spec and
Vocabulary spec
https://github.com/jasnell/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/blob/master/activitystreams2-context.jsonld

AS 2.0 core spec will make this context normative and require publishing
JSON-LD in *compacted* form using this context during compacting. AFAIK
W3C has no past experience in publishing normative JSON-LD contexts, so
it seems that we deal with a new situation here.

To my understanding, currently we can't for example use in this
normative context alias
"Give": "http://schema.org/GiveAction"

so we currently end up with AS2.0 Vocabulary draft defining
http://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-vocabulary/#dfn-give

at the same time current draft of AS2.0 extended vocab doesn't define
*Take*, so many people might in practice end up using
http://schema.org/TakeAction by extending normative JSON-LD context
themselves with something like

"Take": "http://schema.org/TakeAction"
or just
"schema": "http://schema.org/"
and use "schema:TakeAction" etc.

here again we can run into collision of
* http://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-vocabulary/#dfn-target
* http://schema.org/target
both having Action/Activity in range(Includes) but used very different
purpose :S

relevant issues open in Social WG
ISSUE-16: better separate grammar/vocabulary and improved spec structure
* https://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/16
ISSUE-36: Role and evolution of recommended JSON-LD contexts
* https://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/36

We can discuss it in more depth next Tuesday, having it on agenda of our
face 2 face meeting in Paris
* https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/2015-05-04#Day_2_-_Tuesday_5_May_2015

Cheers!