Re: relating IndividualProduct to Product

On 10 Apr 2015, at 16:27, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would explain it as:
> http://schema.org/Product  is really "Product Category Offered".  You could also think "Product Class Offered" or "Product Group Offered" if it helps.

To be precise, schema:Product is a type for an entity that is one of the following

a) a product model (datasheet, abstract ideal, ...),
b) a specific, identifiable product (my iPhone 5), or
c) a bag of not individually identifiable products.

and for which you cannot or do not want to specify whether it is a), b), or c).

Note that a), b), and c) are disjoint, so schema:Product should not be used to conflate e.g. a product and its make and model. If you expose information about a model and about some individual products, it is better to use two independent entities and link them properly using schema:model.

Martin