Re: [Proposal] schema:NotApplicable

I think the essence of many of this any related problems is that currently, schema.org has only the level of the formal specification of what can be expressed, but little meta-data that guides implementers.

For instance, we often use "Thing" as the formal domain or range for a property, but the most frequently types are much more specific.

When we want to advance the state of the art of schema.org and Web vocabularies, we should consider adding meta-data that complements the formal specification instead of simply deriving what humans see from the logical definition of the elements.

For instance, we could

- vary the textual definition of a property depending on the schema.org type for which it is shown and
- classify properties as "mandatory", "recommended", "frequently used" and "possible but rare" (e.g. fax numbers are recommended for companies and possible yet rare for volcanoes).

Note that I am not suggesting to touch the formal integrity of the spec, but to make the human-readable documentation more adaptive to the context of usage of an element.

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group