Re: [Proposal] schema:NotApplicable

On 09/21/2014 10:15 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2014 at 23:10, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
>> On 09/20/2014 10:25 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:
>>> "spouse": "notApplicable"
>>>
>>> is incredibly vague. The person could be single, widowed, be secretly
>>> married, be in a culture where marriage does not confer "spouse-ness" or
>>> "spouse-ness" could simply be irrelevant to the context in question.
>> I agree that it doesn't clarify a lot but at least signals N/A, which
>> gives at least *some clue*.
>>
>> BTW vcard:None, vcard:Other, vcard:Unknown exist as sub classes of
>> vcard:Gender schema:gender http://schema.org/gender could at least
>> recommend some external enumeration!
>>
>> Thank you for all the feedback Karen, if no one else finds types like
>> schema:None and schema:NotApplicable useful, of course I will not argue
>> about it any more :)
>
> I'm quite sure that sooner or later we will need something like schema:None / schema:Null / schema:Nil to be able to explicitly state that there's no data for something but I agree with Karen that schema:NotApplicable is extremely vague and doesn't convey more information than simply omitting that field.
Thanks Markus!

I proposed schema:NotApplicable since I just write by hand N/A every
other day in various web forms that bug me for 'required' information
which simply doesn't apply to me (nationality, address etc.)
schema:None, schema:Null, schema:Nil or even schema:LOL all work fine
for me as long as we could agree upon something and recommend it for
such cases.

I also agree that I didn't make best choice coming up with Pope.spouse
example. I would propose to freeze this thread until me or someone else
writes down some more realistic use cases!