Re: Proposal to extend rangeIncludes of DataTypes predicates in schema.org

Mi Marc:

Thanks. Note that the "subtyping" approach is not without caveats either, since schema:Number is a supertype of multiple numerical XSD datatypes. Also, we should carefully check the implications for clients consuming schema.org instance data in OWL. While I did not yet check wether there is a clever work-around for that in OWL 2, we may end up being in OWL Full.

I think the better approach for tackling this problem is the following:

- A short statement in the schema.org documentation at http://schema.org/docs/documents.html, e.g. a "datatypes.html", which explains the basic mapping to XSD and indicates that XSD datatypes are fine to use in RDF-based syntaxes.

- Implementing this in the Google Structured Data Testing Tool and the Google/Bing/Yahoo/Yandex production systems.

Such would allow anybody to publish respective RDF data while still serving major search engines, without spoiling the documentation or model.

Instead of a "datatypes.html" document, one could even go a but further and add a "schema.org in RDF syntaxes" document that explains the use of schema.org in RDF-based syntaxes, including the use of typed literals.

So a pull request would ideally be such an HTML file, not the rangeIncludes axioms.

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group