Re: Generic Property-Value Proposal for Schema.org

On 2 May 2014 18:38, Jason Douglas <jasondouglas@google.com> wrote:
> Fine, but I think there's an aspect of that mechanism that would be a shame
> to drop, which is that it had some semantic scoping.
>
> I think it's a bad idea to have a completely generic bailout mechanism like
> this.  However, I have no issue with more localized bailouts for things like
> product specifications or sports statistics that do have common
> characteristics but a lot of variety and uniqueness.  You at least have some
> hope of being able to do something useful with that data.  Otherwise,
> there's little value over a bag of words.

Yeah, I share the concern about having unscoped bundles of fields that
could mean anything.

I'm not a believe in the slash-based extension, at least in this case.
It's best used for super-properties, i.e. where the extended form
implies the short form:

Does
{
  @type: Product,
  productSpecification/screenSize : {
    value: 46
    unitCode: "CMT"
  }
}

imply

{ @type: Product,  productSpecification: "46"} ?

This would seem like an overstretch. 46 could be the number of
previous owners, without the qualifying info.  Whereas
http://schema.org/actor/lead would 'dumb down' nicely to plain old
'/actor'.

For the kind of product data Martin's talking about here, I wonder
whether it might be more fruitful to use something like a CSV tabular
form, associated as a http://schema.org/Dataset and use annotations on
the table structure, along lines we're spec'ing in the W3C CSV on the
Web group - http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-csvw-ucr-20140327/
https://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/wiki/Main_Page

Dan