Re: Generic Property-Value Proposal for Schema.org

> Could we use the existing extension mechanism instead of inventing a new
one?

It's long been acknowledged that the existing extension mechanism is
problematic, so I  think of this less as an additional extension mechanism
than potentially a more workable replacement for the existing extension
mechanism.

Way back in January 2012 [1] Dan had this to say:

> Firstly, we've had feedback over last few months that expresses
skepticism about the "/"-based extension mechanism and the extent to
which it's useful to emphasize it.

I don't think this state of affairs has changed over the past two and a
half years.  And in fact, I can't recall seeing a single extension deployed
that actually conforms to the originally prescribed pattern (can anyone
provide an example?).

So I think using the existing extension mechanism is a non-starter, because
IMO the existing extension itself has proved to be a non-starter.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2012Jan/0002.html -
This is just one of many discussions that have taken place surrounding
schema.org's extension mechanism.  Cf. http://bit.ly/1kwzXcf