Re: Expected value for the author property

I see.  Thank you all.  I guess it never registered before, since I have
always seen the author property declared simply with text.  The
definition sort of threw me off, too.  So thank you Phil, Evgeniy,
Aaron, and Laura for the clarification and information.

So taking Evgeniy's example, would this work to both declare the
author's name and URL as well as for the sake of Google authorship?:

itemtype="http://schema.org/Person">
href="https://plus.google.com/XXXXXX?rel=author" itemprop="url">Author's
Name</a></span>

It seems to work when tested, but of course the testing tool does not
generate messages for every type of error.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help.

David