Re: Schema.org v1.6 release candidate: Roles, various fixes, site navigation improvements

On 6/18/14 12:47 PM, Aaron Bradley wrote:
> @Richard Wallis said:
>
>     >From my experience it is easier to get your head around/discuss
>     examples in Turtle and then referring to the
>     RDFa/JSON-LD/Microdata see how it would be then be implemented.
>
>     I’ve been thinking about suggesting an optional Turtle tab for a
>     while - so I am now.
>

> @Kingsley Idehen said:
> >The entity relationships are MUCH easier to understand via TURTLE
> notation. Other notations serve specific user profiles.
>
> From my experience Turtle is virtually unknown outside of the semantic
> web community.  I just did a straw poll among the developers currently
> in my office - none of them slouches - and exactly none of them had so
> much as heard of Turtle.

You said (and this is really important), your poll was aimed at
developers. In my worldview "developers" are a subset of "everyone" . My
assertion is that TURTLE Notation is for everyone i.e., a majority of
people can map a TURTLE notation based RDF statement to a natural
language sentence [1]. They cannot do that with similar ease via POSH
(Plain Old Semantic HTML), HTML+Microdata, HTML+RDFa, HTML+JSON-LD,
JSON-LD.

Data is the plural of Datum. A Datum is a Sentence. Data is a collection
of more than one sentences.

> This is not a commentary about the relative usefulness of Turtle, but
> on the intended audience of the site and the profile of its adopters -
> all the points made by Dan Scott.  An optional Turtle tab?  Sure, why
> not.  Turtle as the centerpiece of the code examples?  Only if the aim
> of doing so is alienating most webmasters.

Schema.org is aimed at a human profile currently tagged as "Web
Developer" and "Web Master". The assumption is that Schema.org targets
both. Even then, why does TURTLE inclusion pose problems if all it does is:

1. widen the audience
2. make relationships comprehensible to document readers.

Note, those of us that advocate TURTLE aren't doing so on the basis of
structured data publication, this has much more to do with actually
understanding entity relationships. The crux of the matter is that when
entity relationships are understood modelling is much more productive.

> And I'd use the same logic in arguing against JSON-LD as the default
> view.  JSON, of course, is - unlike Turtle - readily understood and
> used daily by most developers.  But remembering, to Dan Scott's point,
> that schema.org <http://schema.org> is "a collection of schemas that
> webmasters can use to markup HTML pages in ways recognized by major
> search providers," it makes little sense to emphasize the syntax which
> is currently only tangentially recognized by one of the major search
> providers in a very limited context.

The trouble is that we always end up in the wrong place i.e., language
notation instead of language semantics. RDF is a Language (a system of
signs, syntax, and semantics). TURTLE notation makes the entity
relationship semantics visible. The other notations blur this most
essential item.

At the end of the day, folks (users, developer, and others) just want to
be able to scribble and share observations, at Web-scale. They don't
really want to be constrained by the limitations of search engines.

I don't see how adding options can be burdensome if the goal is
broadening the audience. I am yet to encounter an argument against
mutual inclusion that's justifiable, over the long haul.

Let's not (*inadvertently*) use "Web Developer" and "Web Master" as
tools of exclusion that simply resurrect old distracting document format
wars of yore. An inability to get round the aforementioned issue has
dogged RDF since inception. If you check the checkered history of RDF,
you'll notice this played out before with RDF/XML on the flawed
misconception that "Web Developers" and "Web Masters" would ultimately
consume and publish structured data using XML. It failed woefully, and
tarnished RDF in the most painful ways.

BTW -- I would hold the very same position if anyone pushed the TURTLE
Notation only position. RDF is an abstract language, a single notation
should never obscure this reality.

Links:

[1] http://slidesha.re/QEqLZN -- Natural Language & RDF
[2] http://slidesha.re/1hF48QL -- Understanding Data