Re: Benifit of Schema.org over linked data or vice versa

On 6/2/14 9:40 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> When TimBL originally wrote
> http://www.w3.org/designissues/linkeddata.html  it was largely a
> response to the indirect linking model we'd been using in the FOAF
> project.

Dan,

I wouldn't say using HTTP URIs for unambiguous denotation of entities
was a response to FOAF. It just so happened that FOAF provided a nice
anecdote [1] for making the point. It's hard to explain why "You" need
an HTTP URI that denotes "You" unambiguously if there's nothing in place
to support and demonstrate the utility of a common practice in the
real-world that's simply being exploitable via the Web medium.

As you know, unambiguous HTTP URI based entity denotation dates back to
the very notion of a World Wide Web  (on Paper and inside TimBL's head)
[2][3] :-)

How all of this got lost I will never know, but I do challenge anyone to
image the real-world without:

1. words -- that denoted things unambiguously
2. terms -- that denoted things unambiguously
3. sentences comprised of ambiguous words
4. statements comprised of ambiguous terms.

If RDF had been promoted (from the onset) as a Language rather than a
Format (specifically RDF/XML) we wouldn't still be deliberating these
matters circa., 2014.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1tBFW2Q -- Get Yourself a URI post by TimBL

[2] http://bit.ly/1aNuWca -- original WWW proposal (this couldn't
include live HTTP URIs since the Web was at the proposal stage)

[3] http://bit.ly/10Y9FL1 -- original WWW proposal embellished with live
HTTP URIs that denote entities.

--

Regards,