Re: Benifit of Schema.org over linked data or vice versa

On 6/2/14 9:33 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 5/31/14 5:20 PM, Farhana Sarker wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am Farhana Sarker, student in the University of Southampton.
>> I am keen to know the benefit of using schema.org over linked data
>> technology in reusing or interoperability of data or vice versa.
>> Could you please help me in this regards?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Farhana
>>

> Farhana,
>
> Schema.org is a collaboratively constructed vocabulary.
>
> Linked Data is about denoting (naming or referring to) entities
> *unambiguously* using HTTP URI so an entity name resolves to a
> description of its referent (i.e., what it denotes).
>
> With the above definitions in place, in regards to Schema.org and
> Linked Data, it so happens that Schema.org doesn't mandate
> *unambiguous* entity denotation. Thus, in the context of Schema.org,
> you can have an HTTP URI that denotes both a Entity and the Web
> Document (content can be of any format) that describes the
> aforementioned Entity [1][2].
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Links:
>
> [1] http://schema.org/Offer -- HTTP URI that denotes an entity
>
> [2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9DL64QR7 -- sample report from a
> utility (called Vapor) that attempts to makes sense (discern meaning)
> of what the HTTP URI above denotes.
Farhana,

I should have added an even simpler clarification to the above. Think of
Schema.org as a vocabulary comprised of words (using HTTP URLs). Think
of Linked Data as a mechanism for creating a vocabulary comprised of
terms (using generic HTTP URIs).

[1] http://www.wikihow.com/Differentiate-Between-a-Term-and-a-Word --
great article that explains the difference between a word and a term.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO