Re: Proposal / RFC: Thing > Intangible > Course[OfStudy?] Type (and OnlineCourse subtype)

> Maybe a good way to make these choices more concrete would be to find
> a few candidate sites (ideally ones that would adopt the markup) and
> take a look at their structure...

Potential participants, off the top of my head:

  EdX
    http://code.edx.org/
      "Open edX is already receiving code contributions from around the world.
      We would like to recognize
        Stanford University,
        Google,
        MIT,
        The University of Queensland,
        Tsinghua University,
        UC Berkeley, and
        Harvard University for their significant contributions, staff support,
        and overall passion for the Open edX initiative.
        Together, we are accelerating the future of learning."
    https://github.com/edx/

  Class Central
    https://www.class-central.com/
    https://github.com/classcentral
    https://github.com/classcentral/class-central/tree/master/src/ClassCentral/SiteBundle/Entity
    Of note here is how a Course is distinct from an Offering.
    It may be more appropriate to work more directly with
    course providers.

  Learning Management Systems (LMS, LRMS)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_learning_management_systems

    Different vendors have different takes on
    listing Schools' Course Information;
    deferring to Course Catalogs.

Use Cases / Observations:

  OCW defines a more rigid structure for course composition.
  LRMI may be helpful there.

  > One thought I had is to model
  > course-describing pages directly, rather than debate whether a course
  > is a kind of intangible, an extended event, a sort of Service etc etc.

  Years ago, we built a prototype app with a bit of a different workflow than
  the traditional University model where:
  * Courses were listed
  * Potential clients submitted CourseRequests
  * CourseSessions were to be scheduled
  https://bitbucket.org/westurner/wbcms/src/tip/wbcms/tiger/models.py

  So, clearly a Course would need to be distinct from a Course[Section].

  Classes:
     Course
       OnlineCourse
       CourseSection

  Properties:
    derivedFrom/previousIncantation property could also be helpful.
    prerequisitve/buildsUpon/suggestedPrerequisite properties would be great.

On 2/19/14, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
> Thanks! I think we're long overdue to handle courses at schema.org,
> and there are probably some other proposals floating around in the
> public-vocabs or LRMI list archives. One thought I had is to model
> course-describing pages directly, rather than debate whether a course
> is a kind of intangible, an extended event, a sort of Service etc etc.
> Maybe a good way to make these choices more concrete would be to find
> a few candidate sites (ideally ones that would adopt the markup) and
> take a look at their structure...
>
> Dan
>
> On 19 February 2014 21:46, Wes Turner <wes.turner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Objectives:
>>   Describe courses offered through EducationalOrganization s
>>   Support searches like "A course that covers linked data in the USA"
>>
>> Existing:
>>
>>   Thing > Organization > EducationalOrganization > CollegeOrUniversity
>>     http://schema.org/CollegeOrUniversity
>>
>>   LRMI:
>>     Types: "AlignmentObject"
>>        http://schema.org/AlignmentObject
>>
>>     Properties: http://www.lrmi.net/the-specification
>>       educationalRole, educationalAlignment, educationalUse
>>
>> Proposal:
>>   Thing > Intangible > Course[OfStudy?]
>>     PhysicalCourse (?)
>>     OnlineCourse
>>

>> Next Steps:
>>   Gather feedback on appropriate properties
>>     Should 'subjects' or 'topicsCovered' be freetext and/or URIs?
>>
>>     Identify and work with LRMI expertise
>>       Is there a more intuitive way to describe a 'Course' with LRMI?
>>       What properties of Course would be good to have?
>>         educationalRole,
>>         educationalAlignment
>>

>>   Write a Proposal:
>>     Someone else may be more qualified to craft a Schema.org proposal:
>>       http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/SchemaDotOrgProposals
>>
>> --
>> Wes Turner
>> http://westurner.github.io/