Re: New Proposal - Measurement (in support of describing sports statistics)

From: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:51:18 -0500
To: "Jason Johnson (BING)" <jasjoh@microsoft.com>
Cc: "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
Jason,

I like the simplicity of capturing a MeasurementOverTime.

That is a more flexible model than the rigid one we have in Freebase with a
bunch of "Dated...blahblah" mediators.

Here are some time units in Freebase:
https://www.freebase.com/measurement_unit/time_unit?instances=

Can you also include 1 scientific example in the proposal ?

Something like this one:
https://www.freebase.com/measurement_unit/dated_metric_tons_per_million_ppp_dollars?schema=
where we have a custom measurement unit = "metric tons per million ppp
dollars" expressed as a float value that has a MeasurementOverTime for
startDate: 1/2006 and endDate: 12/2006.

The data of which comes from the GDP PPP column here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_ratio_of_GDP_to_carbon_dioxide_emissions

and here:
http://www.iea.org/media/freepublications/stats/CO2HighlightsExceltables.XLS

--