Re: MedicalAudience - part of 2 different superClasses?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 21:32:00 +0100
To: Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On 13 August 2014 20:42, Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm asking something obvious but I'm a bit confused about
> schema.org/MedicalAudience.

(from the rdfa/rdfs)

Enumerated type.</span>
href="http://schema.org/Audience">Audience</a></span>
href="http://schema.org/MedicalEnumeration">MedicalEnumeration</a></span>
href="http://schema.org/Enumeration">Enumeration</a></span>
href="http://schema.org/PeopleAudience">PeopleAudience</a></span>

> It has 2 different superClasses (Audience & PeopleAudience), which by itself
> isn't strange, but what confuses me is that in the 'type-tree' (don't know
> what else to call it) PeopleAudience is also MedicalAudience's sibling.
>
> So I was wondering, can a type be a subClass & sibling of another type
> without any problem or is it an error?

I don't think its inconsistent, but it might be redundant. There are
some cases due to the old way the site was built, where we had to make
some cludges when changing the hierarchy. You can see something a
little similar around the 'expected values' for properties like
http://schema.org/episode which needlessly list subtypes.

I don't see any reason to keep

href="http://schema.org/Audience">Audience</a></span>

... since it's implied by 'subclassof: PeopleAudience'. My hunch is
that it's there either as an implementation hack needed by our old
codebase, or as an oversight.