Re: revisiting 'position', 'episodeNumber', 'seasonNumber' modeling and Periodicals

On 08/12/2014 09:38 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> On 8/12/14, 8:23 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>

>> I think that 10.1 and 10.2 are intended for mathematical use.
>

> No,

Yes.

> I have many examples where people have used ".n", even with non-numeric
> identifiers ("AA345.1"). There are no rules for what people "have done." Often
> they are just trying to find a sortable order, and even go so far as
> "AA345.1a" or "35.1b."

But this *is* mathematics!

> Never underestimate the cleverness of a person who
> needs to insert something into an already developed sequence.

Agreed, and this is one reason why using integers is a poor choice.  Yes,
there will always be exceptions, but I would hope that they would be rare, and
exceptions to integer numbering of episodes appears to be common.

So what, then, is a good choice?  Good question!

> kc

peter