Re: Inverse Properties in Microdata:, was Re: schema.org update, v1.8: added WebSite type; broadened isPartOf to relate CreativeWorks

From: Lin Clark <lin.w.clark@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:55:27 -0400
To: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
 wrote:

> Microdata's major selling point is simplicity. It achieves that
> mostly by focusing on a single vocabulary and a tree-shaped data model.
> Reverse properties break that model. It is also not clear how they could be
> mapped to application/microdata+json as pointed out in another mail.

Thank you to Markus for pointing this out.

I'm the creator of Microdata module for Drupal and MicrodataPHP (the most
starred microdata parser written in PHP). I had been involved in the RDFa
in Drupal work. I chose to develop tools for microdata instead due to its
simplicity.

If microdata turns into RDFa Lite-lite, then I won't have the spare cycles
to maintain microdata tools. The more complexity that is added, the less
maintainable the tools are for devs who don't have access to the resources
of academia or the Schema.org partners.

FWIW, rev caused a lot of confusion for Drupal site builders. IIRC, it was
removed as a configuration option in Drupal 8.

--
Lin Clark

lin-clark.com
twitter.com/linclark