Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

On 10 Apr 2014, at 09:08, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:46:00 +0200, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9 April 2014 16:24, Jason Douglas <jasondouglas@google.com> wrote:
>>> -1  There's a difference between reference pages *about* the same entity and pages authored/controlled *by* the same entity.
>>
>> Is it a difference we want to fully capture here?
>
> IMHO yes, but

I personally suspect that the distinction between

1. entities and
2. Web resources about the entities

does not have to be exposed at markup level but can be inferred from context and other signals by a search engine or another client.

When you say that a certain song is written by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon and or that you offer a trip to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yushan_(mountain), it is easy to infer for a computational service that not the Wikipedia Web page wrote the song, and that you do not want to climb upon a pile of HTML.

HttpRange-14 and related discussions are overrated, in my opinion. For broad audiences of Webmasters, it is much easier to provide the string of an authoritative Web page URI as a pointer to support entity recognition than to understand the difference between e.g.

http://dbpedia.org/page/John_Lennon

and

http://dbpedia.org/resource/John_Lennon

In particular, if content negotiation will always make the "page" URI appear in a browser's address line, so for copy-and-paste, you need extra  effort to use the proper entity URI.

By the way, schema.org as a whole decided back then, and I think it was a great decision, to use the same URI for the page describing a conceptual element and the conceptual element itself. http://schema.org/Vehicle for instance is the identifier for the class/type and also a Web page.

Again, I urge you all to regard schema.org as an interface to Web developers' minds and the data they control, not as a beautiful all-purpose category system for the human race as a whole.

Martin