Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

On 9 April 2014 16:53, martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
<martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
> I think that Dan's rationale is, and I support that, that we can assume that someone using the Wikipedia / Freebase URI of a page about an entity typically means the entity, not the page.
>
> So we take the URI of the Wikipedia page about John Lennon as an identifier for John Lennon.
>
> I think we can leave the rathole of solving the disambiguation problem between an entity and a representation of the entity out of the level of data representation, and the whole HttpRange-14 [1] problem behind, and assume that the clients consuming data will be able to make that distinction from contextual information and other signals.

The schema.org/sameAs property definition tries to sneak around those
ratholes by explicitly saying that a Web page / url is expected
(contrast with owl:sameAs which is true numerical identity).

Back to (social)account, the other issue I mentioned is that for
complex organizations with many associated accounts (even 'official'
ones, never mind fans/friends/fake...) there could be several
candidate associated or 'subsidiary' entities.

Consider for e.g. the BBC as an entity, and this little collection of
Twitter accounts I just searched for: @BBCBreaking, @bbc5live,
@BBCTech, @BBCClick, @BBCSport, @bbcworldservice, @BBCtrending,
@bbcdoctorwho, @BBCRecruitment, @AboutTheBBC. Some of these are
presented as team accounts, some are for a TV show or station or topic
or activity or brand. Schema.org has the ability to make lots of
matching fine-grained distinctions (see
http://blog.schema.org/2013/12/schemaorg-for-tv-and-radio-markup.html),
but we wouldn't want to end up implying - for example - that Doctor
Who (a http://schema.org/TVSeries) was the same entity as BBC
Recruitment (considered as a 'department' of the 'Organization' that
is the BBC).

That seems to me to be the strongest argument for an 'account'
property, rather than recycling 'sameAs'. But it was worth trying to
squeeze more usage out of sameAs and there are some subtle
inter-relationships here. It ought to be reasonable to have a property
linking the BBC to each of these (assuming they're appropriately
official), even if they could also be linked to teams, shows, brands,
departments, web sites, etc etc.

That said, a single schema.org property is unlikely to capture all the
nuance here. It might be that Person descriptions will work better
with a single property description than complex organizations.

Dan

>>> "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry">wikipedia</