Re: schema.org contentLocation question

Note that in GoodRelations, we clearly distinguish between a place (gr:Location) and a legal entity (gr:BusinessEntity). Conceptually, that is nicer, but many data sources cannot directly provide this conceptual distinction.

In yellow pages or restaurant guides, for instance, it is often unclear whether a listing refers to a place or a business entity. Typically, the same data source will contain entries of different kinds.

Thus I think the schema.org approach makes perfect sense.

If you want to clarify the type, you could use the main type http://schema.org/LocalBusiness with the additionalType property with http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#Location or http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#BusinessEntity.

This would indicate that the entity is an instance of the intersection of LocalBusiness and gr:Location or gr:BusinessEntity.

a) For a local business when you refer to a place
    <link itemprop="additionalType" href="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#Location" />
<!-- other schema.org properties go in here -->

b) For a local business when you refer to the legal entity
    <link itemprop="additionalType" href="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#BusinessEntity" />
<!-- other schema.org properties go in here -->

Note that there are subtle differences between various definitions of a local business, e.g. whether it can be relocated. E.g. "Miller's Steakhouse" could mean the name and place, which remains the same entity if a new person takes over the restaurant, or it could mean a certain restaurant owner's business, which could be relocated and reopened at a nearby location.

Purists may complain the schema:LocalBusiness mixes entities with differing identity criteria, but I think that is more of a feature than a bug in a vocabulary at Web scale.

See also "From Ontologies to Web Ontologies: Lessons Learned from Conceptual Modeling for the WWW"
Video at http://vimeo.com/51152934

Best

Martin

On May 16, 2013, at 1:19 PM, Alexander Shubin wrote:

> Actually at properties table for LocalBusiness you may find parts "Properties from Place" and "Properties from Organization" which means that LocalBusiness is inherited from both.
>
> And it is stated in GettingStarted Guide (http://schema.org/docs/gs.html#schemaorg_types):
>> Actually, a LocalBusiness is a more specific type of Place and a more specific type of Organization, so it inherits properties from both parent types
>
> But I agree. It seems we should indicate this multiple inheritance more clearly.
> ----
> Best,
> Alex
>

> On May 16, 2013, at 1:45 AM, Jeff Mixter <jeffmixter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the responses.  Once I read Dan's initial email, I went back and looked at the actual Turtle documentation and it clearly listed stated that localBusiness is a subclass of both Place and Organization.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeff Mixter
>> 440-773-9079
>>

>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>> On 15 May 2013 14:24, Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > True that http://schema.org/LocalBusiness doesn't mention anything about a
>> > Place super type, but if you look at the RDFa schema [1], it does mention
>> > both supertypes, so you should be fine.
>>
>> Also http://schema.org/Place does mentioned LocalBusiness ... it seems
>> that a type page will list all subtypes, but only one supertype. We
>> should fix that!
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> > LocalBusiness: A particular physical business or branch of an organization.
>> > Examples of LocalBusiness include a restaurant, a particular branch of a
>> > restaurant chain, a branch of a bank, a medical practice, a club, a bowling
>> > alley, etc.
>> > - Subclass of: Organization
>> > - Subclass of: Place
>> >
>> > Steph.