Re: Proposal: VisualArtwork

Karen, I think the library list of "what type of image is it" is what I
had in mind for the 'artform' property. I guess the choice of a
controlled vocabulary is up to the user - I've been working my way
through VRA CORE 4 (http://www.vraweb.org/projects/vracore4/) but the
AAT could equally be used.

For galleries, museums, and artists, the sub-type of artform (e.g. oil
painting as opposed to watercolour) is important - this is what I have
proposed the "materials" property for. And the accompanying "surface"
property is what you've called - perhaps more eloquently - "support
material".

These are often used together, and are typically expressed in the format
of "Oil on Canvas", "Watercolour on Paper", etc.

A real world example can be seen in the panel on the right hand side on
the Wikipedia pages for most paintings - for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa  (in this case, "Oil on poplar").
Another real world example is from the MOMA website:
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=80581 ("Oil on canvas").

As for visual arts items as products - there's an existing "offers"
property in CreativeWork that would probably be immediately usable, and
since the proposed VisualArtwork type extends from CreativeWork then
this "offers" property would be automatically inherited by VisualArtwork.