Re: Proposal: Collection

On 7 May 2013 12:46, Wallis,Richard <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org> wrote:
> This is the second proposal from the Schema Bib Extend
> Group<http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/>, consisting of 60+ people
> from a broad cross section of publishers, libraries, and others interested
> in enhancing Schema.org's capabilities in the area of bibliographic and
> associated resources.
>
> Proposal:
> To create a new Type: 'Collection' and two new properties for Thing and/or
> CreativeWork
>

> Details:
>
> New Type: Collection
> This is a collection in the broadest and simplest possible sense. It is a
> set of things. The things in a collection may be thought of as its
> "parts", even though the membership could be ephemeral.

Interesting :)

How would we distinguish this from the notion of a 'type' or 'class'
that is built-in to schema.org?

Is this specifically library-like or cultural heritage notion of a
collection? Or is it a general purpose data structure for listing
bundles of things? My suspicion is that it's the latter, but it could
easily be mistaken for a very general purpose mechanism.

If there's a bibliographic / cultural heritage problem we can solve
here, while avoiding getting into heavier 'theory of parts' territory
(e.g. http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/Mereotopology.pdf)
I'd be happy...

Dan