Re: Some info on pagination practices

Hi

There are also some advantages with aligning numberOfPages with the Book
Publisher version ("208" in Karen's example)  instead of the Library
version ("xiv, 178"):

1. The numberOfPages property currently expects an integer, which is
provided in all standard publishing industry data formats (e.g. Onix)

2. A simple integer value, such as the one used by Book Publishers, is
easily programmatically usable - e.g. as a "sort" value or a filter when
searching through data, whereas a string value such as "xiv, 178" is not
usable for those operations without the additional calculations (explode
the string at the comma, convert the first value from roman numerals to
arabic, and add to the second value to produce an integer value that can
be used).

In the interest of full disclosure: I work for an academic publishing
company, although my opinions posted on this list are my own.

Paul

--
Paul

  * The Lazarus Corporation: www.lazaruscorporation.co.uk