Re: Proposal for new type : Vocabulary

Hi Chaals, all (I guess there was a problem in my email's receipients)

I think I'm in favour of having owl:Ontology, and if there's a need to get an umbrella for glossaries/thesauri/other classifications, to re-use skos:ConceptScheme or something like that.

Diane says there are use cases, but http://metadataregistry.org/ still makes a big difference between "Vocabularies"  (there, akin to SKOS ConceptSchemes) and "Element Sets" (there, akin to OWL Ontologies).
In fact Bernard has not answered my question on starting to have everything in LOV.

To be more precise: I do not see the the use case for having *only* the generalization of Ontology and ConceptScheme. I see the point in making inventories of both types of resources; but because the two categories are usually made to meet quite different requirements, I'm skeptical about the value of blurring the line.

About rdfs:isDefinedBy vs an hypothetical "uses" property (between Vocabulary and individual classes/properties or concepts). I agree with Chaals: the differences may not survive in this case. More precisely: I think it is the "usage" link between vocs and their elements that will get more traction. The "defined" link is more a provenance/process aspect; it's important for specific scenarios, which may not be really sought by the general schema.org users. Therefore it would seem dangerous to me to use rdfs:isDefinedBy, because its original meaning would be 'highjacked' by the more prominent requirement.

Antoine