Re: Proposal for new type : Vocabulary

Hi Dan

Well, owl:Ontology is OK for vocabularies which are sort of ontologies and
defined in the restricted scope of the Semantic Web techies :)
I was thinking about a broader scope, e.g., simple glossaries, which are
certainly many more on the Web than OWL ontologies or SKOS concept schemes.

Suppose I want to put schema.org in pages such as :

http://www.eia.gov/tools/glossary/
http://www.weather.com/glossary/a.html
http://biz.yahoo.com/f/g/
http://www.unicode.org/glossary/

seems to me there are many many such pages out there (to answer Martin's
objection about limited scope)

Bernard

2013/12/6 Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>

> On 3 December 2013 11:19, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > We're considering adding schema.org markup at lov.okfn.org, and in
> > particular in vocabulary description pages, such as
> > http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/details/vocabulary_schema.html.
> >
> > We can now put each vocabulary in the broad CreativeWork type, but what
> > about a more specific "Vocabulary" type, which could be used by any kind
> of
> > reference vocabulary : glossaries, classifications, ontologies, concept
> > schemes, subject headings, authorities ...
> >
> > An extra would be to have a "definedBy" property to link instances of the
> > oncoming Topic class to an instance of Vocabulary.
> >
> > How does that sound?
>
> Since this is for a rather limited / professional / expert audience
> (like SKOS), how about just using owl:Ontology ?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Ontology-def
>
> I believe all the other features of OWL are optional (i.e. don't feel
> obliged, and it would be a reasonable use of the term.
>
> Similarly http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_isdefinedby was defined
> for relating a term to ... where it came from.

*Bernard Vatant*
Vocabularies & Data Engineering
Tel :  + 33 (0)9 71 48 84 59
Skype : bernard.vatant