Re: Help needed: EPUB 3.01 revision referencing a11y metadata spec

Dan,

There are definitely some properties in the Accessibility list that
could be useful for bibliographic data in general -- in particular:

accessMode (text, auditory, tactile....)
mediaFeature (text, captions, largePrint, ChemML...)
isAdaptationOf (URL)
hasAdaptation (URL)

There is overlap between some of the terms in this proposal and terms
used routinely in library and publisher bibliographic data, however
there are also differences. For example, I'm looking at "mediaFeature"
which has "musicBraille" and there is a semantically equivalent term in
the library MARC data. However, libraries also treat as media types
things like map, globe, and manuscript music, which are not on the
accessibility list. Library data doesn't note more detailed aspects like
the use of ChemML (although it wouldn't be harmful to do so if the data
were available).

Given that the accessibility proposal needs to be fast-tracked, and it
may not be possible for the bibEx group to respond quickly, what do you
see as the best way to handle this? Does the ePUB case need for there to
be separate lists for accessibility, not mixed with those for the
general description of bibliographic media types (some of which will be
"non-accessible")? Should we assume that we can reconcile the lists in
the future?

My personal preference would be to push through the accessibility
proposal soon without doing reconciliation, because it would create a
delay. But I'd be more comfortable with that if we could have a sense of
what the future possibilities are.

Thanks,
kc

--