Re: Proposal: Looking inside tables

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 05:04:40PM -0400, Omar Benjelloun (عمر بنجلون) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many useful datasets on the Web take the form of tables. The goal of this
> proposal is to provide a simple, schema.org-friendly way to "look inside"
> these tables, and map their contents into triples.
>
> This is an early draft proposal developed at Google. We're seeking feedback
> from the community.
>
> The proposal is attached to this e-mail, and will be uploaded to the
> WebSchemas/SchemaDotOrgProposals page shortly.

My initial reaction to the HTML portion of the proposal is that using
the table headers to relate the contents of table cells to properties is
an immensely appealing shortcut; I had similar thoughts/wishes when
setting up the laborious row-by-row markup that is the current
alternative and even checked the specs in the hopes that something like
that had already been defined!

While the title of the proposal is "Describing tables with schema.org",
will the ultimate targets of the HTML-oriented portion of this proposal
be the RDF-in-HTML spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-in-html/) and
(assuming that itemprop will be treated in the same way as property) the
microdata spec, given that we would want all vocabs to be processed
similarly?