Re: Adding a property on http://schema.org/Offer

For your markup to be properly parsed you may only an itemprop (property)
that is listed under the itemtype (type) you're describing.

As you'll see there is no itemprop "category" for schema.org/Offer - either
in general properties for Thing or in specific properties for Offer (you
will find the itemprop "category" under http://schema.org/PhysicalActivity,
but that sure won't help you here.:).

In any case (and rather to make a long story short) if there was such a
property it would in any case more likely to be associated with the product
being sold, rather than the selling offer itself.

The GoodRelations ecommerce vocabulary does have just such a property, if
you're interested in employing that rather than/in addition to schema.org:
http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Cookbook/Catalog_groups