Re: Proper format for date in BlogPosting

Michael,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Michael Below <below@judiz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add microdata to blog articles. As I understand the
> google help page, it is recommended to put the date like this:
>
> Geschrieben am <time itemprop="dateCreated"
> datetime="2011-10-18T16:47:00+02:00">18.10.2011 um 16:47</time>
>
> Now the bing parser doesn't recognize this at all, it drops the
> dateCreated. If i change the element type to <span>, the human readable
> value is recognized by both parsers, but not the machine readable part.
>
> What is the recommended way to put a date in blog postings?

Your markup above is fine. I suspect Bing isn't parsing it correctly,
nothing you can do about it, you just have to wait for them to fix it.
Changing the element to span is no good workaround as you lose the machine
readable element in the datetime attribute (parsers will ignore it as you
noticed).

Generally you can use http://foolip.org/microdatajs/live/ to test your
microdata markup (though not sure if it currently supports the time
element).

There is also http://linter.structured-data.org/ (Lint by Direct Input)
which will show the date extracted correctly from your markup (provided you
wrap it with an itemscope etc.

Steph.