Re: using <html> tag

If the scope of the resource described is the entire HTML document, then marking up the <html> tag is valid and appropriate.

Googler Jenny Murphy had this to say in February [1]:
"You can add the itemscope attribute to any element on your page that
contains all of the attributes that make up that scope. This includes
the <html> element at the root of your page (since by definition
it contains all of the elements on your page), but you may find it
technically easier and more readable to add the itemscope further down
your tree to the lowest parent of all of your microdata. "

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/google-plus-developers/8Tpu7GFo428/-ZExqLGiL8IJ

<head>
<metaitemprop="description" name="description" content="Description of the page" />
<title itemprop="name">Title of the page</title>