Re: Microdata for products: weight, height, length, depth

Dear Francois:
Microdata and RDFa are two very similar ways of achieving the same end. I personally work on conceptual structures, i.e. how you should partition a certain domain in a way that maximizes the reuse of the data across systems.
For instance, GoodRelations is a conceptual structure for e-commerce information. It can be used in combination with schema.org or stand-alone.

GoodRelations can be employed in a variety of syntaxes, like

	• RDFa,
	• Microdata,
	• Turtle (RDF),
	• RDF/XML (RDF,
	• JSON,
	• GData, and
	• OData.

See also

   http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Microdata

For a comparison of syntaxes, see e.g.

   http://manu.sporny.org/2011/uber-comparison-rdfa-md-uf/

As for a practical recommendation: Both GoodRelations and schema.org are supported by all major search engines. GoodRelations provides more granularity in the modeling while schema.org has a broader scope.

See
    http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/GoodRelations_and_schema.org

for background information.

In the future, I expect a stronger convergence of both.

Best wishes

Martin

On Jan 24, 2012, at 5:37 AM, François wrote:

> Thank you Dr. Hepp,
>
> Quite impressive set of semantic tools...  Feel a bit like a newbie (I am!) for not even have heard of GoodRelations.
>
> I will be instantly off topic, but I'm a bit confused.  You came out very strongly in disfavor of Microdata.  At the same time, I have read a lot of comments about Microformat (which introduced me to the world of the semantic web) and RDFa's propable long-term demise in the face of a fresh new upstart, Microdata, backed by all 3 major search engines. A week back, I decided to go for Microdata, but after visiting purl.org, I'm not so sure anymore.
>
> I'm all about standards, and after all I decided to discuss a Microdata difficulty on a W3C forum described on schema.org as the Schema.org Discussion Group...  So Microdata seemed like a very good bet!
>
> Nobody knows what the future holds, but it seems to me that Google will continue its support of Microformat and RDFa as some sort of deprecated technologies (absolutely no disrespect meant).
>
> As Alice said many times when visiting Wonderland: What should I do now?
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> --
>
> François

martin hepp