Re: making Offer transaction system agnostic...

Dear elf:

You can easily express this by expanding schema.org with GoodRelations elements for this. New payment methods are defined as instances of gr:PaymentMethod, e.g.

<!-- on the payment info (or any other static) page, we define the
     non-standard payment method -->
<h1 itemscope itemtype="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#PaymentMethod"
    itemprop="http://schema.org/name"
    itemid="http://acme.com/payment/#karma">Karma</h1>

<!-- on the offer page, indicate this payment option -->
for your home</div>
  Payment:
  <a itemprop="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#acceptedPaymentMethods"
     href="http://acme.com/payment/#karma">Send karma</a> or
  <link itemprop="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#acceptedPaymentMethods"
     href="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#Cash" />cash
<!-- other offer properties follow here -->

If you want to use non-standard currencies, you need to differentiate between a new currency as a new unit of measurement for a standard monetary compensation or a non-monetary compensation.

GoodRelations only supports the former pattern in a straightforward fashion and only standard currencies for monetary compensations.

Best

Martin Hepp

On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:01 PM, elf Pavlik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Looking at http://schema.org/Offer I see it taking assumption of using 'mainstream' monetary system/service for transaction. Myself I focus on supporting development of diversity of systems for managing transactions including various variants with and without use of currencies, more details in this post:
> http://www.w3.org/community/community-io/2011/09/01/embracing-diversity/
>
> I would like to brainstorm how to replace price related properties with more generic ones, something in direction of transactionSystems/transactionServices, where 'mainstream monetary system' would just act as one of possible 'transaction system/service'. People could state any number of systems/services they accept for transaction related to this offer, like: 'local currencies', 'social karma', you_name_it
>
> I must admit that I have no xp with creating vocabularies, any suggestion how to approach it?
>
> Thanks!
> =)
> ~ elf Pavlik ~
> --
> (living strictly moneyless already for over 2 years)
> http://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper
> http://moneyless.info
> http://hackers4peace.net

martin hepp