FW: Distance

Copy of an email reply sent directly to Andy in response to his email
directly to me posted by him on 29 October 2011.

Jim

From: Jim Rhyne [mailto:jrhyne@thematix.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:59 AM
To: 'Andy Mabbett'
Subject: RE: Distance

Are you asserting that a Google search for "hotels near Disneyworld" would
invoke Google maps to find a route between each hotel in Orlando and compute
the distance in order to satisfy the query? That does not seem to be the
behavior exhibited. Excluding the merchant sponsored snippets, Google seems
to just rely on the text "hotel near Disneyworld" appearing in the page.

I have doubts that the search engines would calculate and cache route
distances between places. It seems far more likely that the web page
providers would do this themselves and rely on semantic markup to allow the
search engine to find and index these calculations just for
resort/destination hotels and a few other businesses for which proximity to
a landmark is useful marketing content.

That you could rely on route calculators for this particular problem does
not address the larger issue of semantic markup of tabular data contained in
web pages.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Rhyne

Thematix, Inc.