Re: Schema.org has INTENDED types

On 06/11/2011 07:33, Adrian Giurca wrote:
> Hi all,
> Looking to understand property values defined by Schema.org I found
> the vocabulary does not allow multiple inheritance i.e., each type has
> exactly one parent.
>
> I have an issue when is about establishing a value for a property that
> has an "intended type". The below example shows three cases when a
> http://schema.org/Person is described (Rob Marshall,  Penelope Cruz,
> Ian McShane). All cases define a objects ( itemscope)  of type
> http://schema.org/Person i.e., the content should be a person
> description (object description). However, seems that there are many
> ways to annotate:
>
> - Rob Marshall is a Person described using plain text
> - Penelope Cruz is a Person described by means of the url property
> (inherited from Thing)
> - Ian McShane is a Person described by means of the name property
> (inherited from Thing).
>
> 1. Are all these descriptions valid?
> 2. Is it valid to use an incomplete object description (as for
> Penelope Cruz and  Ian McShane )?
> 3. When is plain text is the responsibility of schema.org processor to
> derive a (possibly incomplete) http://schema.org/Person description?

Hi Rob, I can't answer your questions directly but can point you to the
'conformance' section of this page http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html
which says
   "We also expect that often, where we expect a property value of type
Person, Place, Organization or some other subClassOf Thing, we will get
a text string. In the spirit of "some data is better than none", we will
accept this markup and do the best we can. "

Yes, it's odd that the examples given (e.g. for authors of creative
works) often don't show how to provide data using the expected type
specified (Person).

Phil

--
<http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/>
Please note new email address: phil.barker@hw.ac.uk

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012