Re: Schema.org has INTENDED types

schema.org defines that the director of a Movie is expected to be a Person.
  Parsers are free to infer that this is true even if you dont provide the
itemtype.  The key point is that its a new item, and that parsers should
try and interpret that item in the context that was given.

So I would say that if you only provide text, or a Thing/name or a fully
qualified well annotated object it would be clear what do do with the
markup.

-jg