RE: [Fwd: Cloud Computing and Social Computing]

You know, I'm tempted to write a rant titled "Something is wrong with access control".  The observation here is that people keep telling me that all the access control standards needed for interop are in place, vendors keep telling me that they implement these standards and that everything is OK -- and then EVERY SINGLE TIME we try to do something even the least bit different that involves interop IT DOESN'T WORK!  Then you have these interminable telephone calls -- after you've found the multiple experts to talk to each other -- involving dark muttering about obscure subjects like Kerberos configuration and whatever -- and after a few weeks it works.  The essential observation here, however, is that this seems to happen every single time.  This means to me that there must be something fundamentally wrong out there, but I haven't the slightest idea what it is.

OK, I got that out of my system.

-----Original Message-----
From: ashok malhotra [mailto:ashok.malhotra@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:45 AM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: Jeff Jaffe; public-vision-core
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Cloud Computing and Social Computing]

Roger:
I'm speaking for myself, not for the Taskforce, the TAG or my employer.

Cloud Computing has indeed captured the IT imagination and is big in the
press and in standards bodies.
But if you look at Cloud Computing its only points of intersection with
W3C are the use of URIs as
identifiers and the use of REST-style.interfaces.  The interesting and
hard parts of Cloud Computing have
to do with managing and monitoring applications in the Cloud.  I'm not
sure what the W3C has to contribute
in these areas.
All the best, Ashok