From: Personal Sam Smith <sam@samuelsmith.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 8:24 AM
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: public-vc-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Chairs' decision on VC-ACDC Proposal

In Miami we discussed a path for other external proof formats to be "compliant" which came down to a sufficient requirement that the external proof format provide a one way transformer to a compliant VCDM in json-ld with @context.

In the discussion around the vc-acdc proposal last week, it was argued by those opposed to vc-acdc as an external proof format that there was no need to name vc-acdc as a work item because merely by providing a one-way transformer then vc-acdc would be compliant. Several members of the community argued against this interpretation.  Of course, if that interpretation were true then vc-jwt does not need to be a named external proof either to be compliant.

This then leaves the interpretation of the compromise in Miami in disarray. Which interpretation is correct?  I can't tell. The vc-acdc proposal followed what I thought was the agreed upon path to complaince as an external proof, but apparently as the first interpretive test of the compromise that agreed upon path failed because the community could not come to rough consensus on how to apply the compromise.

I now think it entirely premature to go to feature freeze given we do not evidently have consensus over the interpretation and practical application of the "compromise".