Re: Merging git history for jws-2020

On 7/19/22 11:31 AM, Orie Steele wrote:
> issues can be transferred... I am fine transferring those.

Can PR history be transferred? Can closed issues be transferred? 'cause that's
part of the problem as well.

I'll note that we did not do this with the vc-data-model spec -- we migrated
the repo. If you go looking for the VC Data Model spec in the CCG, you won't
find it today (because we migrated -- didn't clone it -- from CCG to VCWG).

> I'm offering to do the work.

It's only partly about not doing extra unnecessary work.

Even with volunteers, it continues to be a plan that splits history among two
repos. The concerns are being ignored, which is that we don't want to
unnecessarily duplicate stuff (and we want to preserve ALL history along with
the repo -- not just some of it).

> AFAIK, Manu is not an editor for that work item currently (in either the
> ccg or the vcwg). Its initial setup work (editorial). I can do it, preserve
> history and then archive the CCG item properly so we don't break any links
> or create any confusion.

The preservation of history that impacts how we search through history for IP
commitments is something that's above an Editor's pay grade... that is, the
statements above are a deference to authority that the Editor's do not have on
their own. The WG needs to decide, and ideally, do this in a uniform way that
preserves the most history.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/