Re: Electronic Driving Licenses

Yes, I was part of the expert group (ISO/IEC JTC1 WG10) working on the spec. I also created awareness that W3C VCs are a good idea, but it was not adopted.

Last time I spoke to them, ISO 18013-5 will allow two different approaches:
- Offline: a smartphone version of the chip card and data is transmitted between a verifier and a holder using BLE, NFC, etc. The data format has to be chip-friendly and uses ISO/IEC 18013-2 and ISO/IEC 18013-3 encoding. I heard they recently looked into CBOR.
- Online: allows the transmission of a “token” to establish a connection with an online server and obtain the data from the server. The data format is based on JWT. The exchange protocol they were looking into was OpenID Connect. In theory, the “token” could also be a DID, but the exchange format would need to be extended respectively ISO 18013-5 amended.

Their primary intention is not to introduce an online identity. Their primary focus is peer-to-peer verification, e.g., roadside stop.

The group also looked into different types of ZKPs. Data minimization was a declared goal of the working group, i.e., atomic claims, and will be part of the spec.

We could always try to set up a call with them when they are convening (usually every two months).

Oliver