Re: Using Email as an Identifier

I am very much in line with Dave feedback. I would add that people should be free to choose the identifiers they want ([self-]sovereign!). The risk of “losing” a badge is a small price to pay in exchange for not being obliged to hold a “wallet”.

In reality, the problem invoked is not about “loosing” a badge, but making it not verifiable [on its own]. And “verifiability” can be a totally useless piece of information in comparison with “currency”: if you have a degree in computer science but you don’t practice for 5 years, the “currency” of the degree might be close to nil. What kind of information could we get to check that it is still “current?” Evidence of practice, testimonies, endorsements, being part of a community of practice, all things that badges can capture quite well.

Life is imperfect and the idea of a “perfect” technology, one that will keep a piece of information “verifiable” until the laws of physics become invalid doesn’t make much sense.

Moreover, unless I missed an important piece of information, we are now back to creating revocation lists (if true, this would mean that there is a major flaw in the design of VCs). Although I was not keen with the initial verification mechanism of Open Badges (compare the copy with the original) as it would mean that when the issuer is gone, the badge is not anymore “verifiable", there was no need to create revocation list, just get rid of the original assertion. And if it’s easy to revoke, it’s also easy to update.

So, while a fantastic work has been done to connect badges with VCs (thanks Kerri, Nate et al.), there is still much to be done with the current standard to move from “verifiability” (until the laws of physics change) to keeping them “current” (during bits of a lifetime).

Serge

Reconnaître - Open Recognition Alliance - reconnaitre.openrecognition.org <http://reconnaitre.openrecognition.org/>
Sign the Bologna Open Recognition Declaration - www.openrecognition.org <http://www.openrecognition.org/>
Mobile +33 6 0768 6727