Re: Using Email as an Identifier

Kerri,
My did:tag proposal is, I believe, the only proposed DID Method that
addresses the use of email addresses and email as a resolution method:
See: https://github.com/bobwyman/did_method_tag

There are quite a number of issues with using email addresses as
identifiers, or parts of identifiers, and I'm hoping that discussion and
development of the did:tag method will illuminate those issues and
potentially find solutions for them. Some of these issues include:

   - How are DID documents resolved? (In did:tag, I propose that they
   should be resolved asynchronously by sending an email message to the
   indicated address and receiving a DID Document as an attachment to a
   response. The response could be generated manually, or with the assistance
   of a wallet that monitors incoming email messages. Alternatively, the DID
   Document could specify an "AltResolution" service that could be used to
   provide resolution via non-email methods.)
   - What happens when the assignment of the email address is changed?
   (i.e. if "bob@example.com" is now a different "bob" than the Bob that
   created the DID. In this case, did:tag adopts the tagURI syntax of mixing a
   date with the email address to indicate a date during which the DID creator
   had control of the email address. Thus, did:tag:bob@example.com
   ,2021:living_room_tv and did.tag:bob@example.com
   ,2021-11-12:living_room_tv could be recognized as being distinct.)
   - In general, email as a transport creates many opportunities for
   man-in-the-middle attacks unless some form of secure email is being used.
   However, since "email" addresses are the most widely used identifiers
   today, it is important to work out the issues in order to expand the range
   of people who are able to create and manage DIDs.
   - etc.

Please take a look at did:tag and provide whatever comments, issues, etc.
that you might be able or willing to provide. The proposal is still very
fresh and needs a great deal of work. Your assistance will be appreciated.

bob wyman