Re: resolving the URL mess

From: Austin William Wright <aaa@bzfx.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:36:45 -0700
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: David Sheets <sheets@alum.mit.edu>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "public-urispec@w3.org" <public-urispec@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, John Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On 10/02/2014 09:02 PM, Austin William Wright wrote:
>

>> Not to mention, the referenced document misuses several well-defined
>> terms. I'm not sure what a "pathname" or "hash" is, it probably intends
>> "path" and/or "hierpart", and "fragment".
>>

> Those names are part of the interface that browsers expose.  Examples of
> public documentation that mentions these names:

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/URLUtils
>
> - Sam Ruby

Not to mention http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.10.32/api/url.html

Of course, I should clarify, I'm not sure how that terminology was invented
(even the ancient, obsoleted RFCs don't have such vocabulary), and I
wouldn't use window.location as a prototype for an API, it doesn't
generalize well for use outside Web browsers and non-URL URIs.

Though overall, I'm more worried about things like: getter, or function?
Include leading characters like "?" and "#"? Show omitted components as the
empty string, or `null`?

Austin.