URI guidelines and webarch [was: DOI and the non-IETF tree]

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 12:59, Larry Masinter wrote:
> > "Authors of specifications SHOULD avoid introducing new URI  schemes
> when
> > existing schemes can be used to meet the goals of the specifications."
> >  --
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20030627/#pr-new-scheme-expensive
> >
> > "To help parties know when they are referring to the same resource, it
> > follows that URI producers should be conservative about the number of
> > different URIs they produce for the same resource."
> >  --
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20030627/#identifiers-comparison
>
> Since people with URI scheme proposals who want 'official' endorsement
> will look to the IETF and not necessarily to the 'Web Architecture'
> document, should there be a joint IETF/W3C activity to update the
> URI registration BCP and guidelines documents to include this new
> advice?

Seems in order, yes...

> Update 2718?

Which one is that? ah yes... Guidelines for new URL Schemes ...
need to cite that under
"How do I register a new URI scheme?" in
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes

Note that I'm moving the parts of
http://www.w3.org/Addressing/* that are supposed to represent
community consensus into the ESW Wiki to subject them
to WikiConsensus.

I'm also reviewing the URI CG schedule
  http://www.w3.org/2001/12/URI/#Schedule

It's not going very quickly, but I hope you can see that
there's movement...