Re: Support for non-W3C tools in Unicorn?

On Sep 10, 2006, at 13:19 , Christoph Schneegans wrote:
> On the other hand, Unicorn does not solve the issues described in
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/MarkupValidator/XML_Limitations>. Are there
> plans to include non-W3C validators in the Unicorn framework?

Indeed, fixing specific issues in one tool or another is outside the
scope of work done on the Unicorn framework, but the framework is
also made to offer developers an easy way to interface tools with a
centralized service at W3C, and as such, yes, it would be a great
thing if tools made outside of W3C could be made available through
unicorn.

See also my message back in July:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2006Jul/0093
[[
Also, if you are the developer of a checking tool which you think
would be a good observer for that framework, and if you haven't heard
from me on that topic:
1- check your spam mailbox :)
2- drop us a line on public-qa-dev, we'd be happy to talk with you
]]

A rough 3-steps guide to making your tool unicorn friendly:

1- create and host the two service description files which unicorn
will read to know your tool.
see http://www.w3.org/QA/2006/obs_framework/?cat=contract for specs,
and http://qa-dev.w3.org/~ot/ucn_contracts/ for examples

2- modify your tool to give its output (triggered by a parameter of
your choice) in the format documented at:
http://www.w3.org/QA/2006/obs_framework/?cat=response

3- there is no step 3.

The usual disclaimer for pre-release software applies, i.e be aware
that the formats may still change, but the sooner we get developers
to play with the formats and the framework, the sooner we will be
able to find issues and fix them.

Thanks,
--
olivier