From: Nigel Megitt [mailto:nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk]
Sent: 03 February 2016 11:30
To: John Birch; Glenn Adams; Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
Cc: Dae Kim; TTWG
Subject: Re: <initial> vs inherited

We already have the layout element – perhaps we could simply permit it to have style attributes that would apply to all regions unless defined otherwise.

E.g.

<layout tts:backgroundColor="black" tts:color="white">
<region xml:id="r1" tts:color="green" tts:origin="…" tts:extent="…" />
<region xml:id="r2" tts:origin="…" tts:extent="…" />
</layout>

r1 would have backgroundColor black and text color green;
r2 would have backgroundColor black and text color white.

One could do a similar thing with <styling> and <style> elements.

The syntactic shorthand of including style attributes directly on the layout or styling elements could be considered synonymous with the inclusion of anonymous style elements as children, i.e. child style elements with no xml:id. I suspect that TTML1 processors would process those elements and ignore them since they are not referenced anywhere.

In other words the above example could be rewritten as:

<layout>
<region xml:id="r1" tts:color="green" tts:origin="…" tts:extent="…" />
<region xml:id="r2" tts:origin="…" tts:extent="…" />
</layout>

In TTML1 style elements are not permitted as children of the layout element.

In TTML2 right now inherited style attributes are permitted on the tt element to achieve the same effect. I'd like to move them out of the top level element because that would allow us to conditionalise them – this was a point raised back in Santa Clara (or possibly Las Vegas) if I recall correctly (or less correctly).

The discussion of tts:backgroundColor as being not suitable for inheritance may be more easily understood by considering that it causes a background to be painted separately for each of region, div, p and span. Attempting to apply it as a default by inheritance, by applying it to, say, body or region with the intention of using it solely on span would not work – it would have no visible difference to just specifying it on region assuming that the color is not set on any of the elements whose content is flowed into it.

A reasonable use case would be the ability to specify an value of backgroundColor that would apply as the initial value in the context of a restricted set of element types. For example I would like to be able to specify that the initial value of tts:backgroundColor on span is "black" but on all other elements is "transparent". The examples above don't really support that, and the current definition of the initial element doesn't help that either.

Perhaps adding, either to the initial element or an anonymous style element, a "scope" attribute would achieve this, where the attribute could take a list of element types to which those initial styles would apply, i.e. "(region | body | div | p | span | br)*".

Kind regards,

Nigel