Re: Issue-224 3D approach - disparity rather than (translation and condition)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 3:53 AM, John Birch <John.Birch@screensystems.tv>
wrote:

> Thanks Nigel,
>
> I have to admit that, although I can see how Glenn's proposal would work,
> I would have reservations about a double decode approach.

It is not decoded twice, just rendered twice.

> For example, what happens in a double decode approach if the second
> document did not decode (e.g. the conditional resulted in an invalid
> document),

conditionalization is not at syntactic level, so this is not possible
without the entire document being invalid

> or the second decode inadvertently had a side effect (e.g. the subtitle
> was clipped against a region boundary?).

not possible, as translation applies to region, not content in region

> The approach of a separate disparity value, that could be animatable, seem
> IMHO preferable.

i disagree; it is overly specialized and eventually maps to translation in
any case

> Decode once, then shift the resulting graphic as necessary (where each
> graphic gets shifted half the disparity in opposite directions).
> In fact that's another issue for the conditional approach... Doc A would
> have to be left eye, Doc B would have to be right eye position.... but then
> neither document would work correctly as a non-stereoscopic document.

nope, study the example under tts:translate; if stereoscopic imaging is
applied, then region is still well placed

> With a disparity property, ignoring the property in a non-stereoscopic
> render would result in the correct intended positioning.

as does the approach shown in the example