W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > October 2014

{minutes} TTWG Meeting 2/10/2014

From: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 15:36:39 +0000
To: Timed Text Working Group <public-tt@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D0532F34.12C2A%nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Thanks for all for attending today's meeting. Minutes in HTML format can be found at http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-tt-minutes.html


Minutes in text format:


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/


                               - DRAFT -

                Timed Text Working Group Teleconference

02 Oct 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-tt-irc


Attendees

   Present
          glenn, courtney, tmichel, pal, nigel, jdsmith

   Regrets
          frans_de_jong

   Chair
          nigel

   Scribe
          nigel

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]This Agenda
         2. [5]Santa Clara F2F TPAC
         3. [6]IMSC 1 WD External liaisons
         4. [7]Action items pending review
         5. [8]Actions overdue
         6. [9]Action items due next week
         7. [10]TTML2 FPWD
         8. [11]Issues Pending Review
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 02 October 2014

   <scribe> scribeNick: nigel

This Agenda

   nigel: notes that Further Ahead section needs to extend into
   November.

Santa Clara F2F TPAC

   [13]http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/tpac2014


     [13] http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/tpac2014


   nigel: I've updated the wiki page. Please fill in the Attendee
   section.
   ... For agenda items, please go through me.

   glenn: I expect to have more on TTML2 as I wrap up some more
   things.

   nigel: Lists members and observers registered for TPAC. I plan
   to allow all observer requests.

IMSC 1 WD External liaisons

   nigel: I've sent liaisons internally to all the relevant W3C
   groups on our charter.
   ... I've drafted an external liaison and discussed some edits
   with Pierre. The main question is who should we write to.
   ... There's a very long list of potential recipients, taking
   into account the charter and the liaisons. There are 38
   liaisons including 27 for WAI.

   pal: It would be a useful reference point to consider the wide
   review requirement in the 2005 process for LC -> CR.
   ... I'm concerned that we could send this to too many groups.

   glenn: I agree that we should only send to those groups that we
   can expect a timely response from.

   tmichel: I agree too - the Director will be satisfied if we
   only talk to the groups on the charter.

   [14]http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison.html


     [14] http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison.html


   nigel: I would propose to send to the charter groups and the
   liaisons noted as interested in Timed Text and Web and TV.

   pal: I'm concerned about generating too many conversations.

   glenn: DLNA may just come back to me, if at all. HbbTV may be
   interested in it though.
   ... Remember that we need to demonstrate primarily that there's
   been wide review and secondly some technical feedback.

   nigel: I've decided to send to the charter list and the
   liaisons listed for Timed Text and Web and TV.
   ... Summarises content of note.

   <inserted> pal: the notes above did not capture my input
   correctly re: sending an email blast to multiple groups without
   a clear knowledge of whether the group is interested (and/or
   who the right contact is): (a) it generates work for both TTWG
   and the target group with only limited chances of feedback, (b)
   many of these groups have members that are already members of
   W3C and TTWG and (c) it looks like it is not required from a
   process perspective

Action items pending review

   action-236?

   <trackbot> action-236 -- Glenn Adams to Review consistent use
   of "root temporal extent" in both ttml 2 and ttml 1 se -- due
   2014-08-31 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot>
   [15]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/236


     [15] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/236


   nigel: The link doesn't work for me.

   glenn: This is a known issue with the Mercurial server, and
   occurs sporadically.
   ... I introduced the mediaOffset, however we have some ongoing
   discussion on that.

   close action-236

   <trackbot> Closed action-236.

   glenn: The biggest question for me on this whole topic is: what
   is the meaning of BEGIN(document) - is it 0s always or
   something else? Nigel's asked that too.
   ... I'm still considering this.
   ... In other words is BEGIN(document)-ORIGIN(document)=0 in all
   cases or is it possibly non-zero in some cases.

   action-286?

   <trackbot> action-286 -- Glenn Adams to Send an email to
   public-tt describing the ttv hosting site at w3c -- due
   2014-08-31 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot>
   [16]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/286


     [16] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/286


   close action-286

   <trackbot> Closed action-286.

   glenn: To get the w3c version back up I need to interact with
   some staff - I'm not sure when I can do that. Use the backup
   site in the meantime.

   action-287?

   <trackbot> action-287 -- Glenn Adams to Elaborate on wording in
   ยง4 on namespace extension in ttml2 and as an errata to ttml1 --
   due 2014-08-31 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot>
   [17]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/287


     [17] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/287


   glenn: I couldn't identify an issue that needed a specific
   change here.
   ... I reviewed the notes from when this was created.

   close action-287

   <trackbot> Closed action-287.

   action-320?

   <trackbot> action-320 -- Glenn Adams to Review
   [18]https://www.w3.org/wiki/ttml/codecsregistry w.r.t. recent
   ttml2 changes in profile definition mechanisms -- due
   2014-08-21 -- PENDINGREVIEW

     [18] https://www.w3.org/wiki/ttml/codecsregistry


   <trackbot>
   [19]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/320


     [19] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/320


   glenn: I made a minor editorial note to the codecs registry
   page. I'd note that we haven't concluded on this topic.
   ... This should be an agenda topic at the F2F, because we
   should have the right people present, hopefully.

   <pal> +1

   <scribe> ACTION: nigel Add codecs registry to F2F agenda at
   TPAC [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-tt-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-336 - Add codecs registry to f2f
   agenda at tpac [on Nigel Megitt - due 2014-10-09].

   close action-320

   <trackbot> Closed action-320.

Actions overdue

   nigel: These are both mine and I haven't done them.

Action items due next week

   Action-332?

   <trackbot> Action-332 -- Glenn Adams to Add schema support for
   ISD vocabulary -- due 2014-10-01 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [21]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/332


     [21] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/332


   glenn: I have coded the newly defined ISD spec into the TTV and
   created a TTX transformer tool that allows ISDs to be created
   from a TTML file.
   ... In this way I'm verifying the viability of the newly
   defined vocabulary.

   action-333?

   <trackbot> action-333 -- Pierre-Anthony Lemieux to Create a one
   pager to cover the plan for the director's meeting for taking
   imsc1 to cr. -- due 2014-10-02 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [22]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/333


     [22] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/333


   nigel: Let's postpone this one due to the change in plan for
   IMSC.

TTML2 FPWD

   nigel: We planned to do this last week; that didn't happen.

   glenn: I'd like to retarget this to around the time of TPAC, to
   get some substantial pieces in, primarily the ISD creation
   rules and the HTML mapping.

   nigel: Okay I'll rejig the timeline and discuss with you. I'm
   tempted to go just after TPAC so the group can feedback if
   necessary.

   glenn: Sounds good. I'm making good progress on a variety of
   issues and it's better to get more in than less, if we can.
   ... Also, once we have the FPWD published it's simple to
   publish new ones - we don't have to go long between them.
   ... I'm expecting to close the P1 CPs by FPWD.

Issues Pending Review

   issue-228?

   <trackbot> issue-228 -- Ruby text support -- pending review

   <trackbot>
   [23]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/228


     [23] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/228


   glenn: I mapped 3 style properties that map to the CSS ruby
   display styles for the base and different container types and
   delimiter.
   ... And there are position and align attributes. This gives us
   a good baseline to work with and supports the basic Ruby text
   needs.
   ... There's one open technical issue that was posted by pal for
   SMPTE compatibility, which is the need to specify the offset of
   the container boxes from the base box.
   ... I didn't do that because HTML and CSS don't support that at
   the moment. We could define properties but they wouldn't have a
   mapping.

   nigel: I also noted that it uses a syntax different to the HTML
   syntax, and requires nested spans. I don't have an issue with
   that though.

   pal: So now would be a good time to review?

   glenn: yes.
   ... There are different flavours of syntax in XHTML and HTML5
   and the CSS formulation shows that no markup is needed, just
   some style properties.
   ... I took the more CSS approach to make the Ruby more
   orthogonal via styling than adding new markup with the extra
   overhead for that.

   pal: The SMPTE submission from ST4287 is in use today with
   content being made today with that Ruby markup so we should
   have a good rationale for
   ... ignoring the recommendations there.

   glenn: The proposal didn't say to adopt the syntax from SMPTE.

   pal: Re the need to offset, that caught my attention. We should
   be careful about not supporting features from things that are
   actually in use today.

   glenn: If what is proposed is functionally inadequate then I
   suggest that issues are raised with the specifics.

   nigel: I suggest pal reviews and we leave this as Pending
   Review in the meantime.
   ... Adjourns meeting. We have 1 hour scheduled for next week.
   Thanks everyone.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: nigel Add codecs registry to F2F agenda at TPAC
   [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-tt-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [25]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([26]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-10-02 15:34:23 $
     __________________________________________________________

     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/




Received on Thursday, 2 October 2014 15:37:10 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 5 October 2017 18:24:18 UTC