RE: [TTML2] Current draft - ttm:item concept

I think that TTML may have just opened the door to a new expectation ☺
I am not however proposing that TTML attempt to align metadata ecosystems.

I am suggesting that it would be beneficial if TTML provided a centralised means by which visibility of metadata that is defined by other groups under the proposed generic metadata mechanism could be seen by all interested parties in a single location, thus encouraging alignment (by those groups) and reducing the likelihood of redefinition or contradiction in semantics for seemingly identically named metadata items.

I do not see any responsibility of ownership for TTML, nor any responsibility for such a repository to be actively maintained by TTML. Those should both remain the responsibilities of contributing groups.
Nor do I see it as the responsibility of TTML to mediate or co-ordinate alignment.

In fact, arguably TTML might consider deprecating its own existing metadata completely and passing the responsibility for such items completely to derived standards… TTML thus effectively becoming an unadorned base standard from which other annotated / metadata labelled standards are derived.

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Strategic Partnerships Manager | Screen
Main Line : +44 1473 831700 | Ext : 2208 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532
Mobile : +44 7919 558380 | Fax : +44 1473 830078
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
BVE, Excel London 24-26 February 2015 Stand No. N19

P Before printing, think about the environment