From: David Ronca [mailto:dronca@netflix.com]
Sent: 30 January 2013 17:33
To: public-tt@w3.org
Subject: Re: TTML and aspect ratio

> ok, but now i'm back to why not just use tts:extent, since the AR of
> the root container is nothing more than extent(width) / extent(height)?

Because tts:extent specifies exact pixel container area that the client must use.  If a video starts at 480p, and the tts:extent="640,480", then when the video adaptive-switches  to 720p, and/or 1080p, the caption area (as a percentage of the video) will be reduced, and move towards the top-left.

We need a caption presentation model that is completely independent of the video.  All positioning must be relative, and the client must know whether to present the captions in a 4:3 area of the video or a 16:9 area.

David