RE: ISSUE-68 (tts:backgroundColor): Region content

Yes its difficult when we use the same terms in different vocabularies. Thanks for that exposition, it makes it easier for me to rephrase the question in XSL terms.

I'm concerned only with the semantics of this section:
       block-viewport-area        ; fo:block-container  < tt:region     tts:backgroundColor"red"
        block-reference-area      ; fo:block-container  < tt:region
         block-area   (1)         ; fo:block            < tt:body       tts:backgroundColor"blue"
          block-area   (2)        ; fo:block            < tt:div

If the block-area for body is not big enough to overflow the block-viewport-area, then the background (let's say red for argument's sake) is rendered on the viewport area. So we have a red rectangle the size of the region, now we need to inset into this by the padding and draw the content area.
XSL defines that the block-reference-area and block-area (1) have a stacking constraint, so the after-edge of the block-reference-area is after (in the bpd) the after edge of block (1), also the two block areas have a similar stacking constraint. We don't define any spacing after blocks, and the default is 0pt so in fact they are all effectively coincident.

Thus since we said block (1) is not big enough to fill the viewport (let's say it fills 50% of the content area), there is a gap between the after edge of the block-reference-area (which is blue by virtue of containing the blue block-area (1)), and the content area after edge. This area is therefore red, leading to the appearance (but not the reality) that the padding on the after edge is larger than it should be. This is semantically correct, but authorially confusing, especially to someone with a CSS background (A much larger population than those with XSL background, and likely our target audience) who would expect (as I did) the blue rectangle to fill the content area.

So my take on this, as I come more from a CSS background is to define the block-area (1) to in effectively be an infinite plane (this is what I was equating to the CSS canvas for the purposes of timed text, although obviously this is my own interpretation and not currently indicated by the specification). This is possible in XSL by defining an arbitrary amount of spacing between the after edge of block (2) and the after edge of block (1) (although obviously we would need to define this as part of the conversion to XSL-FO).

Now the block-reference-area is forced by the stacking constraint to overflow the viewport area. The background of the block-viewport-area is set to red; coloring the padding region, the background of block (1) [blue] is drawn onto the block-reference-area which is viewed through the block-viewport-area (coincident with the content area), and the result is semantically correct XSL, and visually as expected from a CSS viewpoint (and as non normatively referenced by 7.7.2 http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#propdef-background-color)

Hope this makes the issue clearer.

Sean Hayes
Media Accessibility Strategist
Accessibility Business Unit