Re: Spec question. xml:space

i think there is no ambiguity; you need to to distinguish between whitespace
at the XML level and whitespace at the application level; xml:space is used
to signal authorial intention at the application level;

in particular, referring to XML 1.0 5th Ed. Section 2.10,

> An XML processor must always pass all characters in a document that are not
> markup through to the application. A validating XML processor must also inform
> the application which of these characters constitute white space appearing in
> element content.

so in case of DFXP, all whitespace is passed from XML processor to DFXP
application processor; at that point, it is up to DFXP application processor
to determine which of these whitespace appear in element content; in the
current spec we normatively define, by means of the XML Representation ­
Element Information Item definitions, this usage by means of reference to
#PCDATA via the definition of Inline. class Element Vocabulary Group (Table
4 of Section 5.3.1);

since Block.class (which is used to define the content model for <div/>)
does not include #PCDATA, then whitespace in a div context must never be
considered element content, regardless of the value of xml:space;

xml:space only says what the intention is for treating whitespace in
#PCDATA, and not whitespace in non-#PCDATA contexts;